Get your money back on VAT now, with Ask for Tax Free! Romania’s first VAT refund service.
Receive back the value of VAT (19%) for the goods you bought from Romania in the Tax Free system, if you are a non-EU citizen and you’ll leave the EU space in the next 90 days. Remember that we are talking only about goods, not services.
HOW TO GET YOUR VAT AMOUNT BACK?
- Purchase goods of minimum 175 euros, from authorized Tax Free stores. (The Tax Free logo can be found in the stores);
- Make sure you receive from the store the VAT Refund Document, the invoice and the receipt;
- Stamp the documents at the customs counter
- If the goods are in your carry-on baggage – present at customs the goods and documents received from the store, to get the stamp on them;
- If the goods are in the hold baggage - at the check – in point, ask the agent to call a customs officer to check and stamp your documents;
GET YOUR MONEY!
- If you leave the EU directly – you will receive the money straight from the Henri Coanda airport, cash. Go to the Tax Free office, situated close to the customs office, with the documents stamped, to receive the value of the VAT back. The schedule of the VAT Refund desk is non-stop!
- If you leave the EU with a stopover in another EU country - you will have to receive the stamps at that custom point. And to get your VAT money back you will have to send the stamped documents to Ask for Tax Free, by post, and you will receive the refund by bank transfer;
The amount you will receive represents the value of the VAT in the invoice, minus the commission of the VAT refund unit and the costs and commissions of the bank, if the case. The commission of Ask for Tax Free is 6% of the invoice.
Other good things to keep in mind!
- You can recover VAT for goods purchased in Romania that exceed 175 euros (including the value-added tax) for each purchase – that is, for each invoice.
- You must leave the European Union within 90 days since the day purchasing the goods.
- The currencies accepted for refund are LEI, EURO and USD.