Yellow Zone - self declaration form
On the present land of Bucharest Henri Coanda International Airport there functioned a military base of the IIIrd Reich.
The existing infrastructure ( a 1200 m runway and buildings ) is used by the Romanian military aviation.
The increase of the air traffic, provided until then exclusively by Baneasa Airport, imposes the erection of a new airport.
The metamorphosis process of the military air base Bucharest-Otopeni International Airport gets green light.
The works were focused mainly on the modernization of the main runway sa that it allows landing of the big capacity aircraft, the extension of the runway up to 3500 m (exceeding at that time the runway of the "old" Paris-Orly), the modernization of the airport electric plant and building of a passengers terminal.
For the passengers boarding the cargo terminal is temporarily used. On the 2nd of August the Official Protocol Lounge of the airport was inaugurated on the occasion of Richard Nixon s visit in Romania.
13th April - the passengers terminal is inaugurated, haing the capacity of handling 1,2 million passengers/year.
The airport is undergoing a new development stage.
The second runway (3500m) and the corresponding taxiways system are built.
The operational capacity increases to 35 aircraft movements/hour.
The lighting system is modernized.
The airport starts a vast investment program - "BOIA Development and Modernization" - together with a Romanian-Italian joint - venture (Italstrade, S.E.A. Milano, C.C.C.F.)
Becomes regular ACI member (Airport Council International).
December - The International Departures Termibal was inaugurated, haing a capacity of processing 1200 passengers/peak hour.
The boarding hall is equipped with five air-bridges for the passengers direct access to the aircraft.
June - The passengers of TAROM flight for Paris inaugurates the modern boarding system.
November - The "International Arrivals" passengers flow is inaugurated, as a result of the rearrangement of the old terminal.
June - The parking corresponding to the Arrivals Terminal is inaugurated (3 levels with 900 places).
August - Bucharest International Cargo Center (BICC) is commissioned - the cargo center meant to respond to the new requests from the field of cargo air transport.
16th of July - The Domestic Flights Terminal is inaugurated having a capacity of 200 passengers/peak hour for each of the two flows (Departures/Arrivals).
September - when celebrating 35 years of civil aeronautical activity, the airport was ennobled with the name of the famous pioneer of the Romanian and international aviation, HENRI COANDA
August – commissioning of a new system – the hold baggage 100% security check integrated system
September – new components of the movement area are ready to be used: “Oscar” taxi-way (extension) and “Victor” rapid exit belt
October – inauguration of the connection corridor between International Departures and International Arrivals/Domestic Flights Terminals
December – the sculture dedicated to Henri Coanda, pioneer of jetplanes and fluids mechanics, is inaugurated.
Commencing of Phase III of the airport infrastructure development and modernization project.
The new boarding area extension becomes functional.
November – The new Departures Terminal was opened in order to welcome more and more passengers and airlines. The new terminal doubles the airport processing capacity.